Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Reactions to a MerMommy



Underwater with my trident while one month pregnant

Something I was not prepared for were the reactions of friends, acquaintances, and complete strangers to my pregnancy. Those who were the closest to me knew my struggles with my disease and my desires to be a mother. It was shocking to me that one of those friends could no longer be a friend of mine now that I had my miracle baby.  I guess to her I had everything now, and therefore, I was a reminder of what she didn't have, rather than her friend who was expecting a baby. It was very sad for me because we were extremely close, but these things can and do happen and I've moved on.

I've had acquaintances be overjoyed and extremely supportive, even making gifts for me and the baby. This outpouring of love from people that I knew, but weren't really close with felt wonderful, and helped me get through losing a friend.

There have been extreme polar opposite reactions from complete strangers. I've had people congratulate me and then I've been told by other pregnant women that I should have an abortion because of what I do. These women did not take into account that I have been married for five years, that we own our house and land (free and clear in a few months), that I am well educated with a Master's degree, have traveled the world, volunteer and give back to my community, and above all these things am a compassionate good-hearted woman who wants to be a mother. Because of my career, I can work only a few times a year and be at home with my baby, never having to put my child in a daycare. These women flaunt their ignorance of basic biology by saying "you're starving your baby of oxygen". Your baby does not take a breath every time you do. No pregnant woman should all of a sudden become a mermaid, but because I have been training in this for years regularly, my baby is safe. My OB and I went over healthy boundaries while mermaiding for my baby, and if what I do is ok with him, then really it's no one else's business to tell me any different.

I'm extremely grateful for the mermaid community. They have been the most enthused and supportive friends during this time. Their outpouring of love has given me strength and hope. I have been leaning on my mermaid friends a lot during this time, and they have not let me down. I love them so much! The MerKing himself is throwing us a baby shower at the next MerFest. This will be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment