Tuesday, April 15, 2014

MerMommy in the Virgin Islands

Free diving over a shipwreck from WWII at 3 months pregnant

Exploring the coral reefs
Swimming in my wedding dress
You can see me swimming in it here: http://youtu.be/RXhz35qHT-E

The water of the VIs was amazing! Not only were there beautiful blends of aquas and sapphire blues, but just swimming in the water was rejuvenating to my body and spirit. Though my nausea was gone, I still had uncomfortable cramping and was tired and took a lot of naps. My merbaby was kicking so hard some days...I joked that it was like having Rick James kicking his muddy boots on Eddie Murphy's couch (from the Dave Chapelle sketch). Once I was in the ocean the cramping disappeared, the baby relaxed, and I felt like my old mermaid self again! I heeded my OB's advice to not dive too deep and hold my breath as long. The deepest I dove was within 15 feet and I kept my breath hold under a minute. I got to swim with sea life such as sting rays and sea turtles. I did not see any sharks or dolphins. I learned that dolphins are a gamble when you are pregnant as they can sense the pregnancy and have a negative reaction, so I was relieved to not swim with them. I love sharks but I don't feel comfortable swimming with them in my sequined tail so it was good that they were a no show too. 

You can see me swimming in my tail here: http://youtu.be/27tAmhvk8ow

I highly recommend mermaiding in the VIs. If you go, take a trip out with Wish Upon A Star boat charters. The captain is a true friend to merfolk and he charges a fraction of what other charters do and gives you more! I honestly don't know how he can afford this, but I immensely enjoyed spending the day on his boat and he had the best cinnamon rolls and other snacks this mermommy craved!

I look forward to going back to the VIs one day with my baby. The water was so amazing and the time I shared with my husband was truly magical. I know that I love what I do, but every time I mermaid in the ocean I get this feeling that I'm right where I'm supposed to be. It was truly a life affirming experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment